Boy do I have a recipe for you today! It involves pumpkin (if you haven’t guess that already 😉 ) and cream cheese.
Not only will your taste buds thank you for making this bread, but your apartment will also smell fantastic when the bread was in the oven. And if you’re living with a roommate, they will also thank you for the wonderful aroma that surrounds your apartment. Now that’s a lot of thank yous.
When I told C that I was making a semi-healthy pumpkin bread with cream cheese for him, he was thrilled. He was amazed at how moist it was and the great part is that I only used 2 Tbsp of oil in the entire loaf.
So not only does bread taste delicious and smell wonderful, it is pretty healthy! To make it even healthier, you could eliminate the cream cheese layer but I wouldn’t recommend that because it is too good and creamy. It’s almost like a thin cheesecake.
Just look at that. So moist and creamy.
It only took me 30 minutes to prepare it, 45 minutes to cook, 30 minutes to photograph it, and about 5 seconds to eat it.
It is so good.
Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Bread //Yield 8 servings
Recipe adapted from An Edible Mosaic
For the Cream Cheese Batter:
6oz reduced fat cream cheese
1 large egg
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Pumpkin Spice Batter:
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup oat flour
1/4 cup almond meal
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degree F and lightly grease 1 9×5 loaf pan.
2. For the cream cheese batter, beat together the cream cheese, egg, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Set aside.
3. For the pumpkin spice batter, mix together the brown sugar and egg until light and fluffy in a medium bowl. Then stir in the pumpkin, canola oil and vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Next, mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients.
4. Pour the pumpkin spice batter in the loaf pan. Then pour the cream cheese batter on top. Bake for 45 minutes or until a fork inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Cool for 5-10 minutes, slice and enjoy!